Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Flava'd Fifty 3: the Top of the Pops 
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty 3: the Top of the Pops
"But you make me wanna act like a girl Paint my nails and wear high heels"

22. Heart Attack by Demi Lovato

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:44 am
The Kramer

"It's like murder she wrote Once I get you out them clothes"

21. Ignition (Remix) by R Kelly

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:47 am
The Kramer

It was a tough call leaving Baby One More Time off the list. It is such an iconic pop song and video. But I just feel like Toxic, with its Faint-like violins and Alias-like video, has held up a little better.

Leona Lewis was on the British American Idol and crossed over into the states for this one monster hit. Simon didn't always know how to pick em, but the ones he got right made all his nonsense worth it.

Raise your hand if you remember Dream? Not to be confused with R&B singer The Dream or NXT wrestler Velveteen Dream. This song was kinda huge back in the day, and their follow up single This Is Me was very good as well, but then they just kinda disappeared. Like most girl/boy groups, the load is mostly carried by one person, in this case Diana Ortiz. Diddy should have seen her as a star, broke up the group, and given her Nicole Scherzinger's career. Atleast we have a few great songs about being confident enough in yourself to not lose it every time some other hot bitch comes around.

Demi becomes the first (though not last) artist to get multiple songs on the countdown. This time she is on the opposite end of the Heart A Break spectrum. Instead of convincing someone to lower their defenses, she is putting hers up. Maybe she should have learned from this, but she is young and hot and can do whatever she wants unless it kills her. Keep glowing.

Ignition was a grower for me. Back then, I just couldn't take R Kelly seriously. It sounded like he was saying give me that poo poo. And then the sex video came out, followed by Dave Chappele's eviscerating "Piss On You" and "Piss On You (Remix)" where he was asking for a little poo poo and pee pee. And now Kell might be a master of some sex slave ring? Rough look for the guy. But this song is eternal no matter how many women or men he wrongs. Cause after the party comes the after party and then the hotel lobby. Bounce!

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:06 pm
Keeping it Light

Your 25-21 is my favorite stretch yet, Toxic and Heart Attack are solid entries, Bleeding Love is fantastic, well #45 on my own all-time list, and Ignition always loved it.

Look forward to this top 20 here.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:56 pm
The Kramer

stuffp wrote:
Your 25-21 is my favorite stretch yet, Toxic and Heart Attack are solid entries, Bleeding Love is fantastic, well #45 on my own all-time list, and Ignition always loved it.

Look forward to this top 20 here.
Oh yeah you did have it on your list. That might have even reminded me of it. Has been in rotation for awhile now.

Next set incoming

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:38 pm
The Kramer

"I only wanna die alive Never by the hands of a broken heart"

20. Break Free by Ariana Grande and Zedd

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:40 pm
The Kramer

"And everything went from wrong to right And the stars came out to fill up the sky"

19. Love At First Sight by Kylie Minogue

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:42 pm
The Kramer

"They say some things are better left unsaid But it wasn't like you only talked to him"

18. Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:45 pm
The Kramer

"Change a hawk to a little white dove More than a feeling..."

17. The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis & The News

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:49 pm
The Kramer

"I heard you goin' round playin' the victim now But don't even begin feeling I'm the one to blame"

16. Fighter by Christina Aguilera

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:53 pm
The Kramer

This set really goes up and down. Ariana is breaking free, Kylie is falling in love, Justin is out, Huey is in and Christina is turning her heartbreak to anger.

Break Free is the song that won me over for Ariana. That beat could have made a good song with anyone, but Ariana sets it over the top. That hook simultaneously gives me comfort and adrenaline.

The summer of 2001 had everyone obsessed with Cant Get You Out Of My Head, and that is indeed a great song. But it was her follow up single that got me, 80s throwback style before people became nostalgic for the 80s. This song could be rereleased today and nobody would even be able to tell.

The FutureSex may have been peak Timberlake, but this break out smash is also the best song. He went from the NSYNC guy to the future of Pop and then fulfilled the prophecy by following this up with Rock Your Body (which should be a close call). He shreds his ex (probably Britney Spears) on this and won over even the most skeptical of doubters.

The Power of Love is a terrific time on its own, but its connection to the movie really cements it as an all timer. Back In Time is pretty great too.

It's a shame Xtina never followed up her best song with a like-minded side project. Get this girl a band dammit! It is kind of amazing how diverse the singles for this album are. The "You can fuck me now" sleeziness of Dirrty, the civil rights anthem Beautiful, a song that could have been at home on rock radio and a Lil Kim song. She was always an experimenter and had the voice to get away with it. And I suppose their is still time for The Bottled Genies to happen.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:10 pm
The Kramer

More soon!

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:26 pm
The Kramer

"I guess he's Xbox and I'm more Atari But the way you playing your game ain't fair"

15. Fuck You by Cee-Lo Green

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 pm
The Kramer

"So it's gonna be forever Or it's gonna go down in flames or Burning paradise"

14. Blank Space and Style by Taylor Swift

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:32 pm
The Kramer

"What's cooler than being cool? ICE COLD!"

13. Hey Ya! by OutKast

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:34 pm
The Kramer

"I didn't know it was so cold And you needed someone to show you the way"

12. All You Wanted by Michelle Branch

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:37 pm
The Kramer

"Dreaming bout the day that you'll wake up and find That what you're looking for has been here the whole time"

11. You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:39 pm
The Kramer

So it turns out I couldn't keep it to 3 Taylor songs after all so I cheated. But if I hadn't made the rule there might have been 6-7 of them. And at least all but one of her songs was held outside the top ten (though they all were in the first version of the list). I chose these 2 (3) over State of Grace because they are just more pop really. Nobody seems to love SoG besides me and I've already honored it on the all-time songs list anyways.

Fuck You is the Live Free or Die Hard of songs. It is fine with the PG-13 rating, but the uncensored version makes it a classic.

Hey Ya is billed as Outkast, but it was really on Andre's half of their seperate but equal album concept. I'd have preferred a normal Kast album, then or ever since, but this obviously had some excellent tracks on it and won them the album of the year grammy.

Michelle Branch was everywhere in the early 2000s. Then she did a spread in Maxim magazine, revealed herself to really hot, and was never the same after. She did country music and One Tree Hill. The first two albums, especially All You Wanted, still live on in my heart and is now immortalized in the Flava'd Fifty.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:51 pm
Devil's Advocate

You Belong With Me and Blank Space are great obviously, I was never as big on Style

I loved Michelle Branch's two big songs and her Maxim cover. This message board meltdown helps explain things since

Spoiler: show
Fans of American singer/songwriter Michelle Branch who hang out on her message board were treated to a surprise when Michelle Branch vocally payed out fans for their constant negativity on her new band The Wreckers’ message board before shutting it down.

Her statement, as posted on the message board, reads:

Alright, I don't even know why I am still awake seeing as I have to be up in a few hours to feed Owen.

What I am most frustrated at, I suppose is...I pay money to keep this website up so all of you "fans" can talk about our music. Why would I want to spend the money so the majority of you can sit around and b1tch about us?

I understand that you are frustrated with the fact that there isn't any music for you to listen to. Don't you think Jessica and I are frustrated too?? We finished this record over a year ago and were sent on a lame ass tour we didn't want to be on. It was a horrible idea to headline a show playing music that nobody had ever heard. Maverick wanted to make a quick buck, and unfortunately, we were obligated by contract to do so. I was 5 months pregnant when we started that tour and believe me...it was the last place I wanted to be. Then I got pushed into doing a Santana song I didn't want to do (I didn't write it either, Shanks wanted me to sing it so bad, that was a bargaining tool), Maverick wouldn't let me do it unless Jess was on it so they would get "free" promotion for a record they didn't even understand or believe in for the most part. The record wasn't released because Maverick didn't want me promoting an album pregnant. They thought it would look bad to my young fans...bull.

As far as "biting the hand that feeds you"...

I would give nothing more than to play music in a shitty bar and fold clothes at The Gap for a living. My "being famous" has done nothing but ruin my relationship with my parents, mostly my Father and it has made me hate doing what I used to love more than life itself...playing music. I have been pushed around and now most of you see me as someone who I never really was, and most of you can't accept the plain fact that people change and grow up and I'm not the little girl you think I am. I have a family of my own now, a baby...the last thing I could imagine doing is making music. I'm fine financially (although I don't make millions contrary to popular belief.) and being a famous musician has brought nothing to my life besides strife. (Okay, I met my wonderful husband and bandmate because of it.) I have maybe written two songs in the past year. That's ridiculous. This isn't fun for me anymore. I'm sick of sucking dicks to get my music heard, putting on a fake smile, and saying things that are acceptable.

On the contrary, The Wreckers album makes me very proud and excited again. It's almost like my first day at a new school. It’s a fresh start. I'm finally excited to tour (although I need to find a nanny!) and I am looking forward to seeing what fans think.

You know, I CAN take the criticism. I just don't understand why I should pay for an arena for you to do it. If you are a "fan" why do you speak about Jessica and I in that way?

I never wanted to be put on a pedestal... I just wanted to make music. And believe me, many times I have thought I was going to quit. It's too much energy to pretend it's fun. You can call me a baby if you'd like, but life is too short to spend it being miserable.

This board is going to be shut down tonight. I think we all need a break. When the Wreckers album finally comes out, we'll see the ones who decided to stick around. As for the rest of you, I meant it when I said "f-off"

M

The forums at http://www.thewreckers.com are currently down with no sign of being put up again. Reading through them it seems like most people were relatively nice, except for a small few who attacked her when she expressed her concerns.

She lashed out at someone who calls themselves “taleether” on the boards who questioned her motives for selling her baby photos and attacked her from all sides.

“Now I get to ask a question taleether... Why are you such an asshole? Do you really think The Veronicas are a good band?? Do you have a life, because I don't understand why anyone would waste so much time over analyzing and talking shit about someone they don't really like?”

Branch’s next album will be with The Wreckers, a country-tinged project she started with her backup singer Jessica Harp. The album is ready to be released, but is still sitting on a record company shelf.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 am
The Kramer

:hahaha: I never even knew about that. Talk about wrecking your career...

I will do the whole top ten today, preferably before I go out. Normally I would wait till tomorrow to post #1 to increase the drama, but I don't think there will be any drama either way. It's pretty obvious.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am
The Kramer

"For forty days and forty nights the law was on her side But who can stand when she's in demand?"

10. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:12 am
The Kramer

"Ain't got a care in the world But got plenty of beer"

9. Tik Tok by Kesha

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 am
The Kramer

"Gina dreams of running away When she cries in the night Tommy whispers baby it's ok … someday"

8. Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am
Devil's Advocate

Three great picks to start the top 10!

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am
The Kramer

"Like the legend of the phoenix All ends with beginning"

7. Get Lucky by Daft Punk and Pharrell Williams

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next