Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:30 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Chippy and Magnus 
Superfreak

Post Chippy and Magnus
Where are these guys at? Forum is really, truly going be dead if we've lost these 2. Really hoping we don't have add them to long list of good ones who have disappeared over the years

I thought we were making progress now that Algrens gone...

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:57 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Chippy and Magnus
There will always be algrens. That’s the main reason I always stuck up for him. At least he provided a bunch of fresh content in the movie forums amongst his other nonsense in this forum.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:15 pm
Devil's Advocate

100% my fault. They think I'm racist because of my take on the Floyd or Brooks cases so they don't want to post here anymore. Might have lost Rev as well, though he took a 3 week break recently all on his own in April/May.

I believe in free speech and if it was up to me we would have one of the last bipartisan forums on the internet. But I may have underestimated the cost of polarizing people on a forum lacking members.

Spoiler: show
My take on what's happening is the definition of racism is increasingly evolving by the left much like the definitions of man/woman have changed. I have always believed racism is judging people by the color of their skin and an ideal world we would care about skin color no more than we do hair color. However an increasing amount of people now believe racism is dependent on the oppression/oppressing concept, therefore the oppressing class can be racist towards the oppressed class but not the other way around, and they see white people’s relationship with black people as dramatically oppressor/oppressed. Chippy told me many years ago he believed black people cannot be racist towards white people. The #1 selling book in America is "White Fragility" by Robin DiAngelo which uses phrases for white people that would be considered racist if you said them about black people. For example phrases like White Fragility and Toxic Whiteness are acceptable and have been widely used the last few weeks, but phrases like Black Fragility and Toxic Blackness would get you instantly cancelled. Based on the popularity of the book and the movement's behaviour in general it appears this "you can't be racist towards white people" thesis is becoming more popular.

I am not here to make the case whether that viewpoint is right or wrong, it's just my interpretation of what is happening right now. Because there is two different definitions Magnus believes I am a racist and lacks humanity and therefore he could not stand to even have an account here anymore, while I believe I was being anything but racist by not caring about skin colour when judging the evidence of the case. Going forward if there continues to be two different definitions a lot of people may end up being called racist on both sides. Because to everyone who believes in a colourblind type of world, the White Fragility type of viewpoint and treating black people differently than white people, should be the real racism. For people on the other side they believe the colourblind goal is racism and only serves to ignore oppression.

As for Algren I believe his downfall on the forum wasn't his views, it's that he personally attacked people. I wouldn't mind giving him another chance (especially if it meant his BFF David also came back) although something tells me he would have a incendiary take on the riots as well.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Shack can you please stop with this? Second such post and I don't want to start deleting parts of your posts.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:04 pm
Superfreak

People have both a freedom of speech & a freedom to use their brain which sadly not everyone chooses to exercise. What positive outcome was there to be gained by endless rants that would only upset people? Hopefully they come back some day but reality is the board is no position to lose long time regular contributing members.

PublicEnemy1 is now the OG.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
People have both a freedom of speech & a freedom to use their brain which sadly not everyone chooses to exercise. What positive outcome was there to be gained by endless rants that would only upset people? Hopefully they come back some day but reality is the board is no position to lose long time regular contributing members.

Then the political discussion on this forum will be one of two things, liberal posts, or liberals bullying conservatives until they shut up. That’s what the model is across the internet right now, such as Awardsworthy which is one of the most liberal bully driven forums you’ll find.

It’s clear this is what people want, so I will try to stick to it, but be aware there is also a downside to this model. Nghtvsn was one of our most conservative posters and hasn’t posted since October. Zwackerm used to post political beliefs, was mostly bullied for it like he is for everything else, and these days his overall traffic has gone down outside of the music forum. Price was a Trump fan and last posted in February. While not politics Dr. Lecter left because he thought the forum was too toxic. bradley I believe, finally had enough with people attacking his weirdo tastes. Over the years I’m sure there’s been other conservative posters who were afraid to share their views. MGKC for example is pro-life and has heartland written all over him, but shied away from really getting into it with people here. Someone like DP07 I’m sure has a unique perspective on the current situation one way or the other like he does everything else. Malcolm while a liberal has some views that some take issue with, and the more open the forum would be to them, I’m sure the more he would post.

So if you promote a forum where you have to walk on eggshells around liberals without offending them (while they have no disregard for offending you as they blast you with personal attacks every time they disagree with you), you also risk silencing the character of some posters. There is really not much way you can win with how polarized politics is these days.

Jack please do not delete this post since it’s not about BLM it’s about WOKJ discussion as a whole and is worth being said in my opinion.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 pm
Cream of the Crop

Hasn't Chippy officially left the forum for good about 12 times already? He usually comes back after a while. He already came back the other day to post in the Tenet thread, undermining his extended tantrum-induced absence. As long as he doesn't delete his 60k+ posts like Magnus did, it's 'business as usual'.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Excel wrote:

Then the political discussion on this forum will be one of two things, liberal posts, or liberals bullying conservatives until they shut up. That’s what the model is across the internet right now, such as Awardsworthy which is one of the most liberal bully driven forums you’ll find.

It’s clear this is what people want, so I will try to stick to it, but be aware there is also a downside to this model. Nghtvsn was one of our most conservative posters and hasn’t posted since October. Zwackerm used to post political beliefs, was mostly bullied for it like he is for everything else, and these days his overall traffic has gone down outside of the music forum. Price was a Trump fan and last posted in February. While not politics Dr. Lecter left because he thought the forum was too toxic. bradley I believe, finally had enough with people attacking his weirdo tastes. Over the years I’m sure there’s been other conservative posters who were afraid to share their views. MGKC for example is pro-life and has heartland written all over him, but shied away from really getting into it with people here. Someone like DP07 I’m sure has a unique perspective on the current situation one way or the other like he does everything else. Malcolm while a liberal has some views that some take issue with, and the more open the forum would be to them, I’m sure the more he would post.

So if you promote a forum where you have to walk on eggshells around liberals without offending them (while they have no disregard for offending you as they blast you with personal attacks every time they disagree with you), you also risk silencing the character of some posters. There is really not much way you can win with how polarized politics is these days.

Jack please do not delete this post since it’s not about BLM it’s about WOKJ discussion as a whole and is worth being said in my opinion.

Maybe we just shouldn't talk politics on a forum that was meant for people to discuss their interest in the business of the film industry? Literally, truly everyone can sit behind a computer and point out contradictions about their "opponent". Some are more self-righteous than others, but that's basically what so many of these disagreements dissolve into.

No doubt that subject is likely just better left out of this place. Interests like the movie business exist to remind of what we have in common, letting political talk spill into that does nothing but remind people that we have different backgrounds, different perspectives, and thus different feelings about certain things even when our values may actually be very similar.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

Politics is the only reason this place survived during corona, and frankly, this is an incredibly important moment and next 5 months for a variety of reasons. But maybe reopening the Politics forum and moving everything there is an option.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:44 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Politics is the only reason this place survived during corona. But maybe reopening the Politics forum and moving everything there is an option.

the site is a movie site and the business is on hold, no doubt the same thing is happening in sports forums. box office theory hasn't slowed down.

those mods aggressively enforce rules on conversation. Sure, it isn't free speech but no fucking shit, its an Internet forum?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:48 pm
Superfreak

GuybrushX McMurphy wrote:
Hasn't Chippy officially left the forum for good about 12 times already? He usually comes back after a while. He already came back the other day to post in the Tenet thread, undermining his extended tantrum-induced absence. As long as he doesn't delete his 60k+ posts like Magnus did, it's 'business as usual'.

how can Magnus posts be restored?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:55 pm
Hold the door!

Shack wrote:
Zwackerm used to post political beliefs, was mostly bullied for it like he is for everything else, and these days his overall traffic has gone down outside of the music forum.

For the record, I am still very conservative but don’t bother engaging in circular discussions with all the people I know who read to respond rather than understand. My traffic is down because I avoid any discussion of Corona or politics because they’re both super depressing. I haven’t even opened the Tenet predictions thread, because I can’t stand to see posts like “Tenet will bomb, no way Theaters stay open until 2021, the age of theaters is over, no ones going to feel safe in a a theater in 2020”. I don’t even know if it actually says that, but the pessimism of everyone here in late March Early April eliminated the appeal of this site, which was to discuss movies and box office.

I think there’s nothing wrong with what you posted shack, anybody who has a problem with it to the point they leave the site is immature

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:28 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am not going to lock this thread or delete your post Shack. I just don't want any more conversations around things that are already depressing. Magnus leaving is a BIG deal regardless of what went to provoke that, Algren on the other hand has the option to come back but Magnus's posts cannot be restored now that he has deleted his account.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:20 am
100% That Bitch

Delete your account

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:23 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Mau wrote:
Delete your account

Me? Unhappy and shocked :noway:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 am
Cream of the Crop

Jack Sparrow wrote:
but Magnus's posts cannot be restored now that he has deleted his account.

No recent forum backups?

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Shack has every right to say whatever he wants to say: His POV is clear and well-argued. Even if you disagree with it, he argues his position well enough.

It's not good to choose a political agenda in terms of moderating. This is dishonest. And yes, some people will leave because of that. In terms of American political field, I'm closest to being a libertarian, and I would dislike a strong political bias on this site.

However, the forums can simply establish a rule of no political talk. People can still talk about Corona and how it affects B.O, but they can't talk about Trump & Corona. Or have a sub-forum for political talk. People can simply avoid it if they can't take differing political views.

Last edited by Tuukka on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:31 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jack Sparrow wrote:

No recent forum backups?

I can try and google it if its a possibility but I don't think we have done that before and I don't know if restoring posts will be possible without re-enabling his account. I'll get back to you on how my search goes.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:34 am
Extraordinary

Wow I had no idea Magnus deleted his account. :(

I think creating a political subforum would be a good idea. I think there's enough going on in the real world for us to get upset over people's views on here. We're a really small community as it is, it would suck to have anyone else leave.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:37 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

No recent forum backups?

I can try and google it if its a possibility but I don't think we have done that before and I don't know if restoring posts will be possible without re-enabling his account. I'll get back to you on how my search goes.

I was able to restore Magnus' account but his posts cannot be restored yet. Need to check forum's database for that (will continue my research on that over the weekend).

As for forum I have brought back Politics/Current Events back as a forum aside from Water Cooler. Though it does not mean we are going to discuss the recent events further down.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 am
Devil's Advocate

I would just move the political threads to that forum now. Might as well try it.

Tuukka wrote:
Shack has every right to say whatever he wants to say: His POV is clear and well-argued. Even if you disagree with it, he argues his position well enough.

It's not good to choose a political agenda in terms of moderating. This is dishonest. And yes, some people will leave because of that. In terms of American political field, I'm closest to being a libertarian, and I would dislike a strong political bias on this site.

However, the forums can simply establish a rule of no political talk. People can still talk about Corona and how it affects B.O, but they can't talk about Trump & Corona. Or have a sub-forum for political talk. People can simply avoid it if they can't take differing political views.

It is easy to forget sometimes how different people’s brains work. Between this and other forums I cannot say how many hours in the last month I’ve spent reading liberal opinions about this movement and race that from my viewpoint are completely and utterly wrong in my opinion, views that I consider racist, or views that would have massive negative impact on society if they were used. Does it cause me pain to read them. No. If anything it’s fun and addicting to shoot them down or playing devil’s advocate. Half the reason I dove into these cases is I have nothing else to do right now so why not do detective work on the most famous murder cases in the world right now? Whereas someone like Chippy it clearly causes MAJOR discomfort if he sees something he views to be on the wrong side politically. It’s in his right to feel that way but because it’s so foreign it’s harder for me to empathize enough with it to always take it into account. Our tendency is to believe people are more like us than they really are.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Since you responded Shack and I am trying to avoid Tukka (because he easily gets offended and attacks at a personal level), all of us at Admin were not trying to suppress your opinion and neither did I mention that your viewpoints were wrong (even supported the idea of different opinion in that thread).

I am acting out in the interest of the forum and I would request you - as one of the admin - to please try to consider this.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:44 am
Indiana Jones IV

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I am trying to avoid Tukka (because he easily gets offended and attacks at a personal level).

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I don't think I've been offended even once on this forum, and I certainly have never attacked anyone on a personal level. I have a pretty strict code concerning that. You are free to find quotes from me that would prove your point, but I don't think you can.

In fact I quickly checked out my posts from the last 6 years (I don't post frequently, so it's only a few pages) and everything was either movie/TV reviews or normal B.O speculation. Hardly controversial.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Tuukka wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
I am trying to avoid Tukka (because he easily gets offended and attacks at a personal level).

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I don't think I've been offended even once on this forum, and I certainly have never attacked anyone on a personal level. I have a pretty strict code concerning that. You are free to find quotes from me that would prove your point, but I don't think you can.

In fact I quickly checked out my posts from the last 6 years (I don't post frequently, so it's only a few pages) and everything was either movie/TV reviews or normal B.O speculation. Hardly controversial.

Apologies. I was indeed thinking of Thatguy :sweat:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:41 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Tuukka wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

Apologies. I was indeed thinking of Thatguy :sweat:

Oh, cool! :) You got me wondering there a little bit, if I have been posting dead-drunk.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next