Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Went to Australia.. 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: In Australia..
You thought it was disappointing Algren? Overhyped?

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:16 am
now we know

We went to Bondi beach, but Bondi Junction wasn't really a destination for us to go to. We didn't hear anything about it being great. It could be amazing, but we didn't go there. I'm just wondering what is so great about it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:44 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Just ate kangaroo. Crocodile coming up..

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Yeah, the protein level is higher than beef, lamb etc., and unsurprisingly I loved it. Crocodile too, very nice, just like chicken. Chewy chicken. I wish I could eat kangaroo daily.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:22 am
Profile WWW
now we know

We have our flight back to China at 7am tomorrow. Overall, Australia disappointed. I put it down to the time of year, living in a Chinese area with a Chinese family, and not visiting Melbourne. But I enjoyed just being on holiday in general and of course I had some good times here. But it wasn't as good as when we visited Thailand in February.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I love kangaroo meat. Fortunately, a store close to me carries it sometimes.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:09 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Yeah, Germany and France are importers of it. Apparently it is also stocked in UK supermarkets, but I've never seen it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

France surprises me. It is nearly impossible to get exotic meats there. Believe me, I tried.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I had a kangaroo burger I got from some street vendor in London. It was good.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:27 am
You must have big rats

Street vendor in London... It was probably rat meat.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Street vendor in London... It was probably rat meat.

Tasted too lean for that!

Not that I know what rat tastes like.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:01 pm
Superfreak

Algren wrote:
We went to Bondi beach, but Bondi Junction wasn't really a destination for us to go to. We didn't hear anything about it being great. It could be amazing, but we didn't go there. I'm just wondering what is so great about it.

BJ is not a place you should go out of your way to visit, but it is a fantastic place to live. Quiet and peaceful but 10 minutes from both downtown and the beach. Massive mega mall, tons of stores, restaurants, etc, very friendly people, train and bus stations (and tons of cabs as a result).

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:29 pm
now we know

Not interested in malls or stores.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Went to Australia..
I know you guys would only worry, so I'm letting you know that I'm home safely. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

How long is the flight from you to Sidney?

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It was around 9 hours, which was actually fine and felt like a short flight. I think because we didn't cross many time zones, the jet lag was non-existent. No signs of tiredness, which is always welcome.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

So there is a Melbourne Queer Film Festival. lol

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

My bucket list changes from time to time but Australia is the one constant. The new Netflix show Tidelands which is filmed in Northeast Australia makes me want to go to the continent even more!

Perth, Tasmania, Ayers Rock/Uluru, and the usual spots (Barrier Reef, Sydney, Melbourne) - all on my list of things to do. I think I'd need 4 weeks!

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 pm
Forum General

Gamaur wrote:
That’s a conspicuous lack of response to something a little effort went into. I guess lilmac’s still bitter about our LoTR: TTT BO debate, that he lost. :thumbsup:

$171m x 2 = TTT's literal gross.

:funny:

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 pm
Veteran

Gamaur wrote:
Definitely come. By all accounts if you’re more into nature than urban stuff, it’s hard to top on the whole. Not just saying that cause I live here, lol. The more exotic scenery is at the top and bottom; North Queensland and Tassie - but Tassie’s extremely rugged (check out the films Van Dieman’s Land and The Hunter for an idea), whereas anything from Cairns upwards is a natural paradise. It’s been pretty common for Hollywood productions to use NQ as a stand-in for tropical island settings.

Recommend checking out the Atherton Tablelands, which is inland from Cairns and has these incredibly awesome volcanic lakes with scattered colonies of giant lizards called water dragons (which look like fat oversized Iguanas), and which have this emereld green colour and over summer become about as warm as a bath. Cape Tribulation north of Port Douglas is great for camping and day-long beach and bush walks where you rarely run into anyone. Saw an old naked dude there once, actually.

Tassie is more Lord of the Rings-ish - Cradle Mountain, Coles Bay, Walls of Jerusalem, have some of the best scenery you’ll find anywhere, and the flora and fauna, especially around Cradle, may as well be from another world.

Heaps of good shit along the coast, but those two get the best feedback from tourists. Especially since MONA opened. Melbourne’s the best urban centre if you’re into the arts; Sydney and especially the Gold Coast if you’re looking for hot women. I swear the average cup size in Goldie (and Brisbane) is a full letter difference over the southern states. It’s like they all migrate up there. Guessing a similar thing happens in Venice Beach and Miami.

Apart from that it really depends on what you’re looking for. You have to get out of the cities to encounter the Crocodile Dundee culture, but it’s still alive and well if you know where to look. Sydney and Melbourne can easily be mistaken for cities in Asia, depending on which suburb you’re in; we’re extremely multicultural. The best strippers can be found at The Mens Gallery, Melbourne, I’d say, but MadGez might know of some better ones.

First, I do apologize for such a delayed response. I need to implement a better alert system for replies. :)

Second, thank you for this information. I found it informative and entertaining (cup size...haha). I want to visit both urban and wilderness locales.

Urban -

Sydney is a given but I do want to see Canberra and all the government buildings/houses there. Perth is another because all the focus and attention seems to be on the Eastern part of Australia but Perth seems like the forgotten one. "Off the beaten path" if that's possible for a major city. I also feel like I can get a sense of what 'Australian culture' is all about in one of the not so big cities. I fully expect Sydney and Melbourne will remind me of a major US city. I want to uncover something distinctive. Doesn't have to be full on crocodile dundee, although I want to experience that as well!

Wilderness -

Did some image searches for the locales you mentioned. Oh my goodness. Gorgeous. I would want to spend 70% of my time in those places. What struck me is how far everything I'd want to see is away from each other. I mentioned Perth, that's a bazillion miles from Sydney. Ayers rock - what a trek. North Queensland is another bazillion miles from Tasmania. It would require a month and untold sums of money to do it all. Incredible scale. Reminds me of how big the US is. Both are comparable in size actually.

Again, apologies for the delay. You've given me alot to noodle over. This wouldn't be until 2020/2021.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:53 pm
Veteran

Jiffy wrote:
Gamaur wrote:
That’s a conspicuous lack of response to something a little effort went into. I guess lilmac’s still bitter about our LoTR: TTT BO debate, that he lost. :thumbsup:

$171m x 2 = TTT's literal gross.

:funny:

LOL....you guys have good memories!! Good times.

Wait, so Jiffy and Gamaur, you both were at BOR as well?

Was $171m my TTT guess for its domestic? :-P

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:55 pm
Veteran

Hahaha my sincere apologies. I do have fond memories of that time. Here’s a secret: I was trolling. I knew TTT and ROTK would do well. In my mind I projected $300m+ for both. It was too much fun though egging you all on. Haha

On a related note, we partnered with BOR and while they still have their forums, it is largely defunct. They allowed us to advertise our forum on their page. The ad is up now.

Thanks for the trip tips. I would LOVE to drive across outback country but my wife would probably want to take the easy route and fly. Also, it would take some getting used to driving on the other side of the road. There’s also New Zealand. Been there?

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 am
Veteran

Gamaur wrote:
Haha. This really doesn't matter, but I can't help myself. First you said you missed this because of some notification setting problem, then that you couldn't remember Jiffy on BOR (he had the same username and was one of the most well-known cross-over posters between here, BOR and BOM), and now you're saying the same thing you said in '03-'04, that you were trolling. We went through that, lol. You were a BOM poster with not many posts that drifted in occasionally---the prediction was never taken seriously, but there was a culture there of ball-busting. A genuinely heated debate happened between me and a poster called Gladiator about whether he should see TTT (lmao), but can't say I share your recollection of things in the prediction space.

Edit: should add this is obviously slight ball-busting in and of itself---in case it gets lost in translation with how much I crapped on about it: we're talking 17 years ago, haha. And you're spot on, stuff like that was funny as hell back in the day.

Daniel took the BOR brand after the forum closed down (it's back up...?) and merged with boxoffice.com for a time. He's an excellent webmaster and perhaps one of the best people to partner-up with. He's been at it for a long, long time. Super nice guy, too.

Yep, New Zealand's there as well. Fuck that though. Give us your tourist dollars: look-up Kakadu National Park. It's super well catered for tourism and it'll satisfy practically every Australian itch you've got. And really watch The Hunter. It's hard to overstate the otherwordly nature of Tasmania, even compared to NZ.

haha, I love the ball busting. No worries here. LOL...you have an amazing memory (notification issue, 2003 admission of trolling, etc.).

I take issue with "BOM poster with not that many posts"...I will have you know that I was the FIRST to get to 1,000 posts on BOM. :lol: The reason why I take pride in that is because me and Baumer were literally racing to get to 1,000 posts back in June/July 2002. I hadn't started grad school and so had lots of free time. He, on the other hand, was a 30 yr old man with a life. Needless to say, I beat him. :thumbsup: After that, I couldn't - or didn't want - to keep up.
You probably meant 'BOM poster with not that many posts on BOR"...I realize that but still wanted to tell the story of how I beat Baumer. LOL

Technically the BOR forums are still up but are not maintained...all botted up.

I'll do Australia but there's something to be said about having been to NZ as well. I'd like to do both (and Tasmania which is technically Australia but few know that here on this side of the pond). Do tourists annoy you? Are you in a touristy area?

I'll let you know when I head out that way, we'll meet up and reminisce about the glory days.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm
Keeping it Light

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm
Keeping it Light

I've haven't seen Crocodile Dundee yet actually.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next