Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 So... what's your current situation in all this? 
100% That Bitch

Post Re: So... what's your current situation in all this?
So we've adjusted and will only work in 4 hours shifts every 5 days to avoid staying in contact with sick patients.

Crazy life gets crazier.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:58 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I am so over this shit. Why are we potentially sacrificing our entire economy and a year of our lives (no it's not going to be over in a month, not by a long shot), which for us in the prime of life is a massive chunk of the prime years of our entire existence as sentient beings, for a virus with less than 1% mortality rate?? I don't know if I'm being an awful person but why not just make it so the people who are vulnerable stay indoors locked up but everyone else can continue to go about their life? Pandemics in the past ran their course in like 3 months. That was the case with the Spanish Flu.

Here in BC, everything is shut down, hundreds of thousands have lost their jobs, you can't go anywhere or do anything....and hospitals are half empty. No tidal wave of patients. The only people dying are 90 year olds who had a bunch of other issues. Before you say "yes, that's because everything is shut down", no one else is dying. The vast majority of people have very mild symptoms.

Am I being an awful little selfish shit? Am I delusional about the mortality rate and the effect it would have if we just went about our lives? I don't actually know. But this is rubbing me the wrong way. I will never get to be 27 ever again. I was supposed to become an artist this year. I was supposed to really travel for the first time. I had worked for a decade to get to this point. Maybe I am selfish and awful. Maybe I'm going stir crazy. Who knows. I'm still going to stay home and I've left ONCE in the last three weeks. But I'm mad.

#rantover

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:19 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

who gives a shit

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It possibly the side effect of isolation. Take care of your mental health :thumbsup:

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:22 am
Keeping it Light

I think Barrabas' post is reasonable.

But this is the key part I think.
Barrabás wrote:
Am I delusional about the mortality rate and the effect it would have if we just went about our lives? I don't actually know.

Nobody knows and therefore they're going about what they do know.

Lock people inside, knowing it damages the economy, people losing their.jobs and then once there is control again open stuff ip, slowly.

And they re making that decision on the virus being way more infections than any other decease and way more deadly than 1%. What is the actual death rate, it seems still too hard to say, but letting it go uncontrolled means anyone is at risk to die, including you, but especially the elderly, so more risk to your parents and grandparents. So the question is would you risk them and yourself for a few months, maybe a year of your life, against the rest of your and their lives?

This is tough and it fucking sucks, I could see myself losing my job too and perhaps free fall and who knows what the fuck will happen. But in the end, if we don't have health, we don't have a life at all right.

But anyway, I don't know either, isolation seems to be the only sane measure to battle this until the virus disappears.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 am
The Kramer

I’ve heard the argument from several people now. If this goes on for a year will the economy be able to recover? Will the psyche of the world be able to recover knowing that we have been beat by this virus? I dunno, I assume yes, people got used to the idea of being killed by terrorists everytime we walked into a public place so we will probably get over this too. And 1% of the population is alot, especially if we just let this disease run its course. It could end up being 1% of the population every year, and every person who is 60+ would have to accept they might not make it through the winter. I’d rather have a broken economy, one where people have to get new jobs that support the crisis, then to lower our average life spans by 10-15 years.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:18 pm
Romosexual!

Barrabás wrote:
I am so over this shit. Why are we potentially sacrificing our entire economy and a year of our lives (no it's not going to be over in a month, not by a long shot), which for us in the prime of life is a massive chunk of the prime years of our entire existence as sentient beings, for a virus with less than 1% mortality rate?? I don't know if I'm being an awful person but why not just make it so the people who are vulnerable stay indoors locked up but everyone else can continue to go about their life? Pandemics in the past ran their course in like 3 months. That was the case with the Spanish Flu.

Here in BC, everything is shut down, hundreds of thousands have lost their jobs, you can't go anywhere or do anything....and hospitals are half empty. No tidal wave of patients. The only people dying are 90 year olds who had a bunch of other issues. Before you say "yes, that's because everything is shut down", no one else is dying. The vast majority of people have very mild symptoms.

Am I being an awful little selfish shit? Am I delusional about the mortality rate and the effect it would have if we just went about our lives? I don't actually know. But this is rubbing me the wrong way. I will never get to be 27 ever again. I was supposed to become an artist this year. I was supposed to really travel for the first time. I had worked for a decade to get to this point. Maybe I am selfish and awful. Maybe I'm going stir crazy. Who knows. I'm still going to stay home and I've left ONCE in the last three weeks. But I'm mad.

#rantover

with the lockdown we'll have over 100k deaths.
with going to back to normal life we will have over 500k + deaths

yes you're being selfish ASF!!!

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:22 pm
100% That Bitch

Barrabás wrote:

#rantover

And this why you aren't in a position of power to make decisions. This is the most idiotic post I've seen and Algren has like 50k posts.

It's mortality rate in Italy is 11%. Us is at 2.5% and climbing. It's not about how much of this gonna kill people it's how much of this is gonna break health care.

Just look at italy they literally told ppl to die at their homes cuz hospitals are overwhelmed. NYC has told paramedics not to do CPR on death patients. Imagine this. If your mom has a heart attack but she won't be able to get to the hospital because the hospital is flooded with covid19. So she dies in the waiting room.

Just multiply that for 100x as other emergencies won't stop arriving because of covid19. They keep happening and with so much resource and shit going to treat covid19 patients, other emergencies are suffering. So that's a lot more people dying than just "1%".

It's not about the disease per se but the health care collapse it causes. It's not the same to treat 250k people at once with social distance and "selfish" actions than treat a million at the same tme. So yes. Your post is selfish and frankly idiotic.

I'm at the fucking ER ROOM watching people arrive that are just dying because we have no resources. And it kills me that we can't do anything but watch them die. And then you come.in with your stupid rant? Seriously go fuck yourself

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:28 pm
Hold the door!

If we continued to quarantine the vulnerable people, why would the hospitals be overwhelmed? So few invulnerable people would need hospitalization right?

I'm down to do this for a little while, but this will have ripple effects that if something like this happened again, society could collapse.

Aren't the hospitals already overwhelmed even with social distancing?

I would sacrifice myself to death by coronavirus if it meant we could all go back to living life normally.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:09 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
If we continued to quarantine the vulnerable people, why would the hospitals be overwhelmed? So few invulnerable people would need hospitalization right?

I'm down to do this for a little while, but this will have ripple effects that if something like this happened again, society could collapse.

I would sacrifice myself to death by coronavirus if it meant we could all go back to living life normally.

Literally crazy. You do realize if everyone thought this way, and everyone got sick... that would then overwhelm hospitals and probably lead to an even bigger collapse?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:15 pm
100% That Bitch

Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Literally crazy. You do realize if everyone thought this way, and everyone got sick... that would then overwhelm hospitals and probably lead to an even bigger collapse?

And this is why people need social distance. Please stay inside.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:18 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Also, regarding barrabas, sure, it's fine to be selfish and be pissed. But we've all got to realize that even if you're not in danger of getting deathly sick... you can still get real sick. Sick enough to go to the hospital. And as I said, if everyone is out and about, and we're all getting sick even with "the flu", that puts businesses in a bind because lots of workers are now going to call out sick. Lots of those sick people will then go to the doctor. Which will then cause them to be overloaded, etc etc rinse repeat.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:28 pm
100% That Bitch

Chippy wrote:
Also, regarding barrabas, sure, it's fine to be selfish and be pissed. But we've all got to realize that even if you're not in danger of getting deathly sick... you can still get real sick. Sick enough to go to the hospital. And as I said, if everyone is out and about, and we're all getting sick even with "the flu", that puts businesses in a bind because lots of workers are now going to call out sick. Lots of those sick people will then go to the doctor. Which will then cause them to be overloaded, etc etc rinse repeat.

I literally said the same? I think he's selfish not stupid

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:33 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

You need to chill, I wasn't talking to you. I was clarifying my earlier post saying that nobody cares

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:36 pm
Hold the door!

My biggest main worry is the fact my roommates are all students who won’t want to renew their leases if the university was still closed come next school year. So I’d not be able to afford my rent potentially and even if I could and didn’t have to move back with mom and dad, I’d lose my last year of being roommates with my best friend. I’ve already lost so much time with him, and he plans to move far enough away I won’t see him that often once he graduates.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:04 pm
Hold the door!

So face masks. Should I try and make one? How effective are they? Could they manufacture one so effective social distancing became unnecessary?

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:06 pm
100% That Bitch

If you know how to wear them? Go ahead the CDC just recommended everyone to use one when outside.

Just know THEY SUCK and if you're ear glasses it's gonna be hell when ur using them. And you have to avoid touching yo face and washing yo hands a loooooot

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:21 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'm repeat that people just need to take care of their mental health. We are not used to stay alone and isolated and all these thoughts are just the result of our mind being tired. The measures in place are a must and while you won't get back this time of your lives "THIS WILL PASS" and you'll adjust to new settings because that what humans do.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 pm
100% That Bitch

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I'm repeat that people just need to take care of their mental health. We are not used to stay alone and isolated and all these thoughts are just the result of our mind being tired. The measures in place are a must and while you won't get back this time of your lives "THIS WILL PASS" and you'll adjust to new settings because that what humans do.

The fact people are mad they have to stay inside their houses to avoid this mass spread is ridiculous. You guys can afford the lockdowns, please stay inside.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Last edited by Mau on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:25 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's not what I was saying AT ALL.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:13 am
Sbil

Barrabás wrote:

#rantover

Your frustration is completely understandable. This entire thing absolutely sucks.

However...

Your boredom/frustration < people's lives. If we did not social distance, millions more people would die, even with "the vulnerable indoors locked up."

We're all being asked to sacrifice for the common good so that hospitals worldwide don't all become completely overwhelmed and doctors have to choose who lives and who dies. You can stay home and watch TV for a few months so that people don't die. It's a GOOD thing that hospitals near you aren't filled to the brim.

It's also simply not true that "only 90 year olds" are dying from this. Yes, most people only have mild-ish symptoms. But so what? Hundreds of thousands of people who aren't 90 WILL die from this if strict measures aren't taken.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:39 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

What I'm trying to tell myself to stay sane is that even if a vaccine isn't developed, because those take so much time and need so much testing to study long-term effects, an effective treatment for severe cases will be devised well before then.

Before penicilin, strep throat could kill you. If they discover a cure like that for this, where they can give you one shot or a set of pills and you're good to go in a couple of days, then we could probably go back to our lives fairly quickly. Even if a ton of people get very sick, the vast majority could be cured.

Based on what I've read an absurd amount of resources, war-like, seem to be going to developing a treatment. It's in the whole planet's economic, humanitarian, spiritual etc. interest to develop that so hopefully humanity will pull through.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:56 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

What's to say that a rushed up untested "cure" will not kill more people? The number of infected cases are way too much at this point

Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:15 am
Hold the door!

Some people’s entire lives and identity are in things that are not allowed right now. There’s a huge portion of the population that is out of the house with people sunup to sundown 365 days a year. No wonder this is being viewed as intolerable torture by so many.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:00 am
Hold the door!

A successful antiviral treatment that significantly reduces death rate and recovery time is the only hope this ends in any sort of tolerable time frame.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next