Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 2244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 90  Next
 The Tennis Thread 

Myskina lost (*stifles giggle*), biggest surprise for me is Davenport taken to three. Henman won which is good news for me, however i doubt he will manage to match his run to the semi finals he had last year. Just wish i had more time to watch it this year, will only be able to follow the results until the finals weekend.

The fact that Myskins has a major is a sign of the apocalypse, and it shoudl make Clijsters feel even more like shit for not having broken through yet, I mean all the owmen on the tour have to be thinking, Myskina wona slam, it cannot be that hard. Myskina has the mental backbone of overcooked spaghetti.

Britain broke Henman, I don't see him ever winning *siggh*, which is to bad I like him.

Tue May 24, 2005 1:16 pm
Cream of the Crop

Well 2nd day is almost done, and there's really only one upset to speak of. Agassi losing in 5 after suffering some sort of inflamation of a nerve in his hip, that severely hindered his mobility. Roddick, Gaudio, Safin, Coria also through.

On the women's side JHH needed three to take out Conchita which isn't a big surprise. Martinez plays well on clay and JHH always has some difficult matches early on in the tournament. She (JHH) played really well in the first set losing something like 6 points, so I think she's looking good for the quarters at least. Sharapova also got through in three and looks to be well on her way to a QF showdown the JHH.

Oh, final point. I still hate Brad Gilbert.

Tue May 24, 2005 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

Well Henman lost in 4, which is no great surprise. He'll lose a lot of points after reaching the semi's last year.... at least he has another wimbledon failure to look forward to :smile: (I dont actually mean it, he has one of the best records of all players over the last 10 years at wimbledon, just wish he would win the damn thing).

Tantalising matchup in round three, Nadal Vs Gasquet which i will have to try and watch. Venus almost had a slip up, quite surprising considering the Istanbul victory, but i guess its still early.

Wed May 25, 2005 1:37 pm
Lover of Bacon

I forgot to add that watching this Schnyder match makes me want to vomit. I hate the woman so much! its just so dull, doesn't help that he looks so damn awful [-(

Wed May 25, 2005 1:40 pm
Cream of the Crop

I don't think the Venus slip up was all that surprising. Zuluaga is a good clay court player and Venus has been hit and miss lately. Istanbul was a tier III tournament, where the players she beat averaged a rank of 104 or something like that. Hardly competition. And the clay was a different consistency than that of RG. She should make it to the QF. Davenport got taken to three again today, if she keeps this up she's not going to have the energy, never mind the clay court game to beat Clijsters in the round of 16 - if they both get there.

Federer and Nadal both got through in straights today, Federer was looking good against a spirited opponent. That match had some great points, while Nadal just steamrolled over Malisse, whose fighting spirit left a lot to be desired.

I just dislike Schnyder because she beat Graf in her final US Open appearance in 98. But yeah she's boring to watch, and doesn't shake peoples hands on occasion :)

Wed May 25, 2005 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

I just dislike Schnyder because she beat Graf in her final US Open appearance in 98. But yeah she's boring to watch, and doesn't shake peoples hands on occasion :)

That has a lot to do with it! Also the constant moonballing drives me mad. Strangely i don't feel the same about Zvereva who beat Graf at wimbledon in 98, i just saw that as payback for the 1988 frech open final.

Wed May 25, 2005 2:16 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Another huge tennis fan here... And being spanish, I follow more the clay season and specially Roland Garros! :razz:

It´s understandable then that I am rooting for Nadal so much... however his victory is doubtful, it is the first time he plays the tournament (isn´t it) and many people say he is still too young for a Grand Slam victory. I guess Federer and Coria are favourites, also expecting a big ferrero comeback that may not happen...

My money is on Henin for the ladies. Either her or Sharapova. Personally, I wish Mauresmo would win, but that is so not going to happen...

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Wed May 25, 2005 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

I dont know if it's possible (haven't seen the draws) but i'd kill for a davenport/venus final and venus winning :D

Thu May 26, 2005 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I dont know if it's possible (haven't seen the draws) but i'd kill for a davenport/venus final and venus winning :D

If they meet up, and I doubt they will, more from Davenport's end than Venus', they would meet in the semis. I see Venus getting through to the QF at least, where she would probably meet Dementieva and stand a quality chance at beating her. Then comes Clijsters/Schnyder or Davenport (in order of most likely) and that's when Venus' chances get cut drastically.

Thu May 26, 2005 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

Another huge tennis fan here... And being spanish, I follow more the clay season and specially Roland Garros! :razz:

It´s understandable then that I am rooting for Nadal so much... however his victory is doubtful, it is the first time he plays the tournament (isn´t it) and many people say he is still too young for a Grand Slam victory. I guess Federer and Coria are favourites, also expecting a big ferrero comeback that may not happen...

My money is on Henin for the ladies. Either her or Sharapova. Personally, I wish Mauresmo would win, but that is so not going to happen...

I think Nadal stands as good a chance as any of the men. I like to watch him, i enjoy his style of play and it would be great to see him win this one.

Thu May 26, 2005 7:53 am
Cream of the Crop

What's ESPN going to do now? No Agassi and now no Roddick. He lost, after being 2-0 sets up on some 60th ranked clay court player. That must be upsetting. In fairness the guy he was playing really turned it on the last two sets of the match. Since Spadea and Blake also lost, that makes 0 American men left in the draw. Thankfully for ESPN, Sharapova (who won today) plays on a different day than Venus and Lindsay, so I'm guessing we'll see a lot of them - and probably some Federer.

Other than Roddick's ouster, no other upsets. A couple good third round matches on the men's side though are set. Nadal/Gasquet and Ferrero/Safin, and on the women's side for the fourth round Clijsters/Davenport and Kuznetsova/JHH are getting closer to being made a reality.

Thu May 26, 2005 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

dar wrote:

I think Nadal stands as good a chance as any of the men. I like to watch him, i enjoy his style of play and it would be great to see him win this one.

I hope you are right and yes, he is a very entertaining player to watch. Pretty intense.

Thu May 26, 2005 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Well Venus got ousted today by some 16 year old with a last name I can't pronounce so it looks as if her grand slam slump continues, even with her recent triumph in Istanbul she couldn't managed to get past the third round. She certainly isn't having a great year at the GS's or elsewhere.

Other than that, I don't think there were any big happenings. Davenport through in 3, Pierce in 2, Nadal with a seemingly easy straight setter against Gasquet, which I thought would be closer. That projected semi between Nadal and Federer will most likely determine the champion.

We are almost into the second week, I love that in a grand slam.

Fri May 27, 2005 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

I thought i had lost the thread then.... before i realised it had been stickied, d'oh.

Bit of a shock for Venus, but an amazing result for Karatantcheva, just 15 and into the third round, and she has an easy match in comparison to venus. Not that much of a surprise when you consider she was the junior french open champion last year, but a great leap onto the seniors. I consider Pierce's win extremely good for her, to take out the 9th seed is great, i hope she can keep that sort of form going intot the tournament.

Nadal is on course for the title now in my opinion, he brushed Gasquet aside. Only Federer can stop him now.

Fri May 27, 2005 5:43 pm
Cream of the Crop

15 and Karatantcheva is in to the 4th round where she will meet the winner of Loit v Gagliardi - so she really has a decent shot of making to the quarter finals where she could meet silly serving Dementieva. Wow. I think Zvonerva's 9th seed is a bit inflated, I haven't seen her do much this year (or last) and Mary always plays well at RG and on clay, so I think it's an upset only in that the lower ranked player beat the higher one, not on ability.

The first quarter has two amazing fourth round matches. Lindsay v. Kim and Pierce v. Schnyder. The good thing is that I'm sure ESPN will have that Lindsay v. Kim 4th round on TV, so I can actually watch.

Men's top half 4th Rnd to watch: Federer v. Moya. Federer has had an easier time getting to the 4th Rnd than Moya, but Moya is a former champion and I expect him to put up a good fight, still Federer in 4 and I hope I get to watch this one too.

Fri May 27, 2005 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

4th round, i mean 4th round #-o i really must try and concentrate. I just hope Karatantcheva doesn't let the win go to her head, i'd like to see her in the quarters.

Fri May 27, 2005 6:44 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Nadal completely destroyed Gasquet. It is not that he played that much better, but he was so superior mentally... there is something about his determination that makes a great threat for every player out there, specially in clay!

Is Karatantcheva supposed to be very good? Or was Venus very crappy?

Fri May 27, 2005 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Defending champion Gaudio is also looking pretty good, albeit one of his wins is a walkover. It's a good thing that pretty much all the clay favorites are advancing.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri May 27, 2005 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Is Karatantcheva supposed to be very good? Or was Venus very crappy?

I think Karatantcheva is one of those generic talented youngsters that should do okay in tournaments, but Venus was definitely making a lot of unforced errors. I wonder when peoples expectations of Venus are going to drop, she's not the same player she was in 2000-2001, another major is looking less and less likely for her.

Yeah I always forget about Gaudio....he's been playing well, but he's 4th or 5th if I were to rank my favourites now. Rafa, Fed, Coria, then him or Nalbandian.

Fri May 27, 2005 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

:( I shall go mourn

Fri May 27, 2005 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Justw atching Ferrero-Safin now, should be a great match. I am going to say Ferrero in four, but probably just my wishful thinking working overtime again... we´ll see.

Sat May 28, 2005 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

Justw atching Ferrero-Safin now, should be a great match. I am going to say Ferrero in four, but probably just my wishful thinking working overtime again... we´ll see.

I would be watching it if British Eurosport was showing it! damn cycling!!!! :mad:

Sat May 28, 2005 10:37 am
Cream of the Crop

Safin d. Ferrero was a very entertaining match, that could have very easily been a QF or greater, hopefully Ferrero will remain healthy and get his rank back up there. I'm not sure of Safin's draw but I wouldn't want to face him any time soon.

JHH was down 5-0 at one point against some clay courter I never heard of, and although she did still lose that set 6-4, she managed to win the match and set up a 4th round meeting with Kuzentsova which should be fantastic. Tomorrow NBC says they are going to have Davenport v. Clijsters but it won't be live, so I will be tremendously tempted to check out the score before watching it.

Then there's poor Mauresmo...She has by far the easiest draw of the top seeds and loses in 3, not even getting to the 4th round. She's never going to win at RG. She would have faced Schiavone and Petrova to get to the SF.

Here's the the complete Womens 4th Round matches, I do believe they all play tomorrow.

Lindsay Davenport USA (1) v. Kim Clijsters BEL (14)
Mary Pierce FRA (21) v. Patty Schnyder SUI (8)
Elena Dementieva RUS (4) v. Elena Likhovtseva RUS (16)
Sesil Karatantcheva BUL v. Emmanuelle Gagliardi SUI

Nadia Petrova RUS (7) v. Elena Bovina RUS (12)
Francesca Schiavone ITA (22) v. Ana Ivanovic SCG (29)
Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS (6) v. Justine Henin-Hardenne BEL (10)
Nuria Llagostera Vives ESP v. Maria Sharapova RUS (2)

Sat May 28, 2005 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

I want LIndsay now to win! She was my favourite pre-williams sisters (well she was tied with hingis)

I hope i can see the match tomorrow.

I miss hingis :(

Sat May 28, 2005 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

An interesting day at Roland Garros. They didn't manage to get in all scheduled play for today in before darkness so a few matches will have to be completed/started tomorrow.

On the mens' side Federer breezed through in straight sets and is looking stronger with each passing round, while Nalbandian lost a 2-0 lead to the unseeded Romanian, Hanescu. So Federer should make it to the SF, where he could face Nadal. Nadal is currently up 3-0 against Grosjean after splitting the first two sets.

The women's side saw many matches completed, only Sharapova's match (up a set and 3-3 in the second) and JHH/Kuznetsova (did not start) and Schiavone/Ivanovic were not. Lindsay managed to come back from a set and 1-3 down to defeat Clijsters and set up a match with Pierce who defeated Schnyder, who shockingly enough, was less than gracious in defeat. Saying that the RG crowd was rude to her. Dementieva lost to Likhotseva so Venus should really be kicking herself right now...that would have been a clear road to the semis.

The top half of the women's draw - where play has been completed looks like this (QF):
Lindsay Davenport USA (1) v. Mary Pierce FRA (21)
Elena Likhovtseva RUS (16) v. Sesil Karatantcheva BUL

I wonder if the Finalist from this half will be from the first match? :-k
Petrova is the only one through from the bottom half to the quarters and will face the winner of Schiavone/Ivanovic. So no one outside of their families will care and we'll all be watching the bottom QF which would be between JHH/Kuznetsova and looking like Sharapova, which would be great fun to watch.

Go JHH!

Sun May 29, 2005 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 90  Next