Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 2244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 90  Next
 The Tennis Thread 
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: The Tennis Thread - Wimbledon '10
I was not going to be watching the final due to the Germany v. Argentina game being on at the same time, but these results are just making that decision easier and easier. I'm still waiting for Zvonerava to collapse mentally...

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

If Fed or Nadal doesn't make the Finals idk how motivated I'm going to be in watching the final this year.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37 am
Extraordinary

I hope Soderling's blister rips wide open...

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 pm
loyalfromlondon

Sucks to be Murray, having to play Nadal in the semis. Whoever wins that match will win the whole thing.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:39 pm
Extraordinary

trixster wrote:
Sucks to be Murray, having to play Nadal in the semis. Whoever wins that match will win the whole thing.

That is terrible. Regardless of his draw, he's always running into a better player. Rafa should win that match even with the home crowd against him. I wonder if the Queen (as if I care) will bother to show up.

Djokovic must be excited. He should be able to make this final if he keeps his head on str8 but I don't think he'll beat Rafa or Murray in the final.

Roger may not break reach/pass 7 Wimbledon's but he will break Sampras' weeks at #1 with only 7 more weeks to go.

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
Extraordinary

Serena better show up in the semis. This title is hers for the taking. I thought the FO was too but she wilted and let it slip through her fingers. I hope she remains focused. Getting knocked out of doubles was surprising but maybe it will help her the rest of the way.

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:43 pm
Cream of the Crop

nghtvsn wrote:
Roger may not break reach/pass 7 Wimbledon's but he will break Sampras' weeks at #1 with only 7 more weeks to go.

I think he's more likely to reach 7 Wimbledon's. He'll be 3 in the world in the next rankings and he has finalist points to defend in New York and will have Champion points in Australia in '11. He does nothing in the non-majors and is now underperforming in the majors. I can't see him reascending to number 1, barring prolonged injuries from other players. He's also getting up there in terms of age for tennis players. He was the oldest quarterfinalist.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Also if you believe athletes age by playing odometer and not biological years like I do, that doesnt help Roger. Hes been on tour since 16 and the best player in the world since like 21. Since hes gotten far in like every single tournament, I wouldnt be surprised if hes up there for most minutes played, or at least past the point where most players fall off. He probably has the minutes played of a 32-35 year old if he was a tour cast-off

Anyways, Zvonerevas in the finals... wow. I remember liking her when I was like 14 because she was on the attractive players. This breakthroughs been a long time coming, though she will likely get destroyed

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus Lightyear wrote:
Federer will only be #1 if Nadal gets injured. Which is very possible so I think he could break Sampras record. But he won't destroy it, just like he will only end up with 2-3 more majors than Sampras in the end.

Fed doesn't need to destroy it. He's so far ahead of everyone else. I don't know about you but I don't see another Federer around anytime soon. Nadal? He may close the gap on majors simply because of the FO but will he ever win a USO? He's been more injury prone than Fed ever was.

#MAGA #KAG!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:03 pm
Extraordinary

A bit of a tough match for Serena but she came out on top. Apparently, she's 5-1 against Zvonereva and this is practically Williams turf.

I'll go 6-3 6-4

Serena's 13th.

#MAGA #KAG!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:05 pm
Extraordinary

I was happy Serena won . She's now at 13 majors and is the fav fir the USO. She may not play alot but she shows up when she needs too . She was especially good here today . I love her serving and she just seemed in total control throughout the tourney . It's still a shame about the FO cuz that was right in her hands . Carillo was trying to suggest she could reach grafs slam total but that's over the top . I do think that 18 is certainly not impossible for her while healthy . It's amazing how she and venus have dominated Wimbledon . I've really enjoyed watching her career from her bead hair days to the catsuit and now her more mature professional attitude she displays .

So after Sampras and Agassi left only one real male us star emerged in Roddick but once the Williams sisters have gone will there be a female star from the US?

#MAGA #KAG!

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:16 pm
Extraordinary

Impressive match by Nadal. They brought up how dealing with him is like dealing with Sampras meaning that it's so hard to break his serve that if you get broken next thing you know you've lost the set. Anyway, so now Rafa is at 8 and apparently he's going to be #1 for quite a while. I can see him reaching Sampras's slam total and maybe Fed's depending on where he finishes.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:46 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

If his knees hold up

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

At this point the only thing that can stop Nadal is himself. Nadal and prime Federer feel like in a different game than the rest of the field.

He has a chance to catch Federer if only because Fed took longer to start winning majors. Nadal is in his 9th season and has 8 titles, maybe 9 by the end of this year. Fed had 6 at the end of his 9th. His peak was actually his 10th and 11th seasons. So if Nadal followed his career path this year and the next 2 would be his best. But I don't know if Nadal is built for Federer like longevity.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:12 pm
Devil's Advocate

Nigga please

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:30 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus Lightyear wrote:
If he wins US Open (and I think he will), that statement will be undeniable. He's the favorite to win on any surface at his best. Federer never owned clay.

To be fair, Federer would have owned clay if he hadn't been running into Nadal all those years.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

Magnus Lightyear wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:
Magnus Lightyear wrote:
If he wins US Open (and I think he will), that statement will be undeniable. He's the favorite to win on any surface at his best. Federer never owned clay.

To be fair, Federer would have owned clay if he hadn't been running into Nadal all those years.

To be fair, Andy Roddick could have 9 majors if he hadn't been running into Federer all these years.

Argument = bullshit

Nadal has tougher competition than Federer had and still dominates. US Open is all he needs to prove that he's better than Federer was.

Now, in terms of career/legacy, Federer wins because he was able to do it for longer period of time. But in terms of prime, Nadal IMO is going to prove to be better.

Federer had to play claycourt Nadal. And Nadal is better on clay than anyone on any surface... ever. He dominated everything else in his prime. Nadal right now isn't facing anyone near the claycourt version of himself.

And it's definitely too early to put him close to prime Fed's level as a hardcourt player. Hell, Federer has been better than Nadal at the US and Australian Opens the last 3 years despite being past his prime and getting passed at Wimbledon. Federer is basically the best hardcourt player ever, Nadal has proven himself as much on that surface as Djokovic

Also if you look at the overall W-L and tournaments won Nadal isn't close to prime Federer. The last 3 years he went 70-15, 82-11, 66-14, and he's 47-5 this year, which prorates to around 81-9, but that's with clay and grass being his best, so maybe more like 78-12 again. From 04 on Federer went 74-6, 81-4, 92-5, 68-9, and a bunch of those losses were against Nadal. It was the top sports story the day when Federer lost to anyone but Nadal

If Nadal wins 4 majors in a row you can maybe talk about his peak being > Federer. But if Federer didn't have to play the GOAT claycourt player ever French Open final he could've won like 10 straight majors, so...

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 pm
Extraordinary

I wouldn't say the competition for Nadal is tougher since he only starts winning the other surfaces after Federer is past his prime, while Federer had to deal with Nadal in his prime on Clay all these years, and Nadal himself on Clay is a way tougher competition than any players Nadal has to face currently in his run. If the ages were reversed between the two, Federer would have several grand slams already.

BTW, technically Federer also has an Olympics gold too; albeit it's in doubles, but it still counts and is just as meaningful to him from the way he reacted afterward.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Magception wrote:
xiayun wrote:
I wouldn't say the competition for Nadal is tougher since he only starts winning the other surfaces after Federer is past his prime, while Federer had to deal with Nadal in his prime on Clay all these years, and Nadal himself on Clay is a way tougher competition than any players Nadal has to face currently in his run. If the ages were reversed between the two, Federer would have several grand slams already.

But the competition on grass/hard is MUCH tougher for Nadal than it was for Federer.

How are you even coming to that opinion?

How is it MUCH tougher for Nadal than when Fed was winning W and the USO all these years?

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:45 pm
Extraordinary

Magception wrote:
Federer prime was 2004-2007. If you really think the competition of tennis was tougher back then then it has in the past two years, I think you're misguided.

The overall competition may be tougher now, but for Federer, everybody else doesn't really matter to him, as he would continue to beat them when in his prime. It's only Nadal that has been preventing him at French, and Nadal in French is way tougher than anybody Nadal has to navigate through now, so yes, Federer's competition is tougher because he had to face the toughest one there is. Nadal only starts winning when Federer is in decline.

Basically, the question to me should be: how will the majors play out if Federer is in Nadal's age at the current competitive environment? I'm sure Federer will still be favored in and in fact win all other three majors, so to me, Federer's prime is better.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Two hopes for the US Open

a) Federer-Nadal final

b) Ana Ivanovic lasts till the 4th round or more

I like Nadal on the men's, my pick on the women's side is actually Stosur. She hasn't had much hardcourt success, but she SHOULD with her big serve. Feels like she has the game (serve/power, spin, mobility) to become a majors and top 5 fixture, just needs reps.

Wozniacki is #1 in the latest "so that's where the women's game is now" moment. She's another Jankovic, Safina, Ivanovic, etc. Powerless counterpuncher. Good for making QF and SFs and getting high in the rankings, bad for actually beating someone good

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:54 pm
Extraordinary

I had to look it up to be sure but Caroline is only seeded #1 due to Serena getting sabotaged by broken glass. Serena is still the #1 player in the world atm.

I'm rooting for Fed of course, Nadal 2nd. Everyone else bores me. Maybe if Roddick would play without a hat every tournament then I could change my opinion on him.

Women's side I'll root for Venus even though I have to live with her screaming every shot and slamming serves into the net every other serve, however, I don't think she'll win the tourney. I like your Stosur pick or Kim Clijsters to repeat.

#MAGA #KAG!

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 am
Extraordinary

Nadal ate up his opponent last night. He was all over him making big shots and using his improved serve. Nadal is looking in top form. I think it will be Fed v Nadal with Nadal having a slight edge over Federer.

Kim Clijsters looked great against Stosur. It went 3 sets but that's okay. Stosur isn't a pushover and she had her chances to win that match but really played to loose the last two games and the match ended in a hurry after being so tight most of the way. It was a high quality match I thought though.

** Can someone edit the title...it's the freaking US OPEN 2010 for smurfs sake **

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:51 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Tennis Thread - U.S. Open '10
I don't normally say this but Caroline Wozniacki is...Smmmooookin'!

When I first tuned into the match against Cibulkova I thought Cary was the one in the plain jane white uniform but to my satisfying surprise she was the one in the flashy outfit with the unbraided ponytail sloshing about when she was hitting the balls.

Mmm Mmm. I might have to root for her instead.

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:57 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: The Tennis Thread - U.S. Open '10
She is QUITE the looker :wub2:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 90  Next