Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 2244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 90  Next
 The Tennis Thread 
Extraordinary

Im gonna predict an upset and say Haas beats Federer, if it doesnt happen then yeah, Federer is going all the way.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:46 am
Squee

Oh man, I cant wait for the EPIC Federer vs. Roddick final!

Can Roddick stretch it to 4 sets?!

:glare:

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:01 am
Lover of Bacon

Looks like you'll be waiting a long time :happy:

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:56 pm
Squee

Squee wrote:

Looks like you'll be waiting a long time :happy:

Damn, looks like I'll be waiting for wimbledon to see Roddick heroicly take federer to 4 sets!

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:11 pm

Will Safin even be able to play Australian Open? Either way, I can't see him perform at last year's level for two straight weeks again. That match against Federer last year was surreal. Federer will win and take the talk of a "Federer Slam" into French.

I like Sfin, i really do, but he seems only able to put togather two straight weeks of good tennis once every few years, his play is as biplor as it gets.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:01 pm

I love watching Federer toy with Roddick, but als Roddick did his choking thing, he's good at taht recently, the one slam wonder...if he is the future of men;s tennis were not much bettter off then when the future was Jan Micheal Gambill.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Squee

Squee wrote:

I love watching Federer toy with Roddick, but als Roddick did his choking thing, he's good at taht recently, the one slam wonder...if he is the future of men;s tennis were not much bettter off then when the future was Jan Micheal Gambill.

I dont know, I think we got to think about this federerless.

If Federer weren't around, Roddick would have like 3 grand slams by now. Roddick had the bad luck of breaking through during the reign of possibly the best Tennis player of all time.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:12 am
Extraordinary

The women side looks good, with 7 out of the top 8 players and probably Hingis for the final 8.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Kiefer is playing really well, wonder if he can be a challenge to Federer.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:16 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah I like Kiefer. He's been coming to the Oz open for 7 years and this is the first time he makes it to the quarters!

Im hoping Hingis and can realise the fairytale comeback and go all the way.

Hardenne got through at the expense of Davenport earlier tonight.

The Hass V Federer match last nights was great - though the last set was rather flat - good call on my part for once I went to bed during the last set.

BTW - anyone spot Charlize Theron in the crowd? She looked HOT!!

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:19 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:42 am
Extraordinary

Great quarterfinal actions, with a little controversy involved too. Sad to see Hingis go, but she had a good fight. Mauresmo is looking awefully strong.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Kiefer was bothering me before he through the racquet mid point, so just imagine how much I liked him after. What an ass. I hope Federer destroys him, but Kiefer has played him well in the past, it will probably take Federer 4 close sets.

That Clijsters/Hingis match was all on Clijsters. She let Hingis into the match by not getting a backhand in during the second set. Hingis impressed me with her mobility and her defense, but I think when she faces the power hitters that it's going to be off her racquet and completely up to the other player.

Mauresmo's always like this in tournaments, casually making her way through the draw, relatively un-noticed, then she hits a name player and falls apart. I give her a good chance against Kim because Kim's mobility doesn't seem to be at 100% due to the injury, but even if Mauresmo beats Clijsters, she's not going to win the championship.

The winner of the championship will come from the top half, as has long been suspected. Whoever wins tonight, Sharapova or NNRden will take the crown. Sharapova has looked sharp, but had a really ugly QF win against Petrova. H[sup]2[/sup] took a set to adjust to the world's number 1 power game, but when she did she played well. Justine leads the head-to-head 2-1, but I think both of those wins came on clay. On a hard court Sharapova took it in three sets, during Justine's first tournament back from a long layoff. Rebound Ace is slower than hard court, but gives one more traction that Clay, so I guess it's sort of an inbetween surface. That being said, if Henin can actually get a first serve in every now and again I give her the edge.

Women's Semifinals
Maria Sharapova RUS (4) vs. Justine Henin-Hardenne BEL (8)
Kim Clijsters BEL (2) vs. Amelie Mauresmo FRA (3)

Men's Semifinals
Roger Federer SUI (1) vs. Nicolas Kiefer GER (21)
David Nalbandian ARG (4) vs. Marcos Baghdatis CYP

Last edited by AgentX on Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:46 pm
Cream of the Crop

It's Kiefer, not Keifer...

Sorry about that. Hope he doesn't throw his racquet at me.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Levy wrote:
It's Kiefer, not Keifer...

Sorry about that. Hope he doesn't throw his racquet at me.

Nope. He probably only grabs his balls again...

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:54 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Shut up Levy. That correction did not really have much effect on the story. Its not like it was an igregious error.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Shut up Levy. That correction did not really have much effect on the story. Its not like it was an igregious error.

Dude, what's your problem? I only pointed out a misspelling, not attacking AgentX in any way and then I made a joke about his second round game where Kiefer was deducted a point for grabbing his balls...

Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:07 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Levy a spelling error on a forum is an equivalent to a human drinking water at any one time. Anyway I doubt AgentX will lose sleep over your bickering.

Anyway on topic. Clijsters should retire from tennis immediately, she is crippled as it is. That 2nd set was awful, and her 'new' injury is punishment.

Anyway i hope Mauresmo wins in the final. While not a fan of the dyke, I just couldn't care less about Henin.

Nalbandian got served tonight! Yah! Lets hope Federer chokes as well.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:50 pm
Iron Man

Go Markos!!! He has done fantastically. Can't wait for the final on Sunday! :biggrin:

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:03 pm
Cream of the Crop

Amelie Mauresmo FRA (3) vs. Justine Henin-Hardenne BEL (8)

Will we see a repeat of 2004, when Justine and Roger took the titles? I think so. JHH has won the last couple meetings (4 I think) with Amelie, including a three set win on hard court in Toronto last year. She has won the last four grand slam finals she's been in so she knows how to win. This will be Amelie's first GS Final since the 99 AO, so the pressure will be on her to make that breakthrough. I think it will be a tight match, with Amelie taking the first set, JHH winning a close second and then storming through the third.

Prediction: JHH in 3

Men's Final: Sunday 3:30 am EST
Roger Federer SUI (1) vs. Marcos Baghdatis CYP

I'll be happy no matter who comes out on top here. I just hope the occasion doesn't play too heavily on Marcos. He was able to come from two sets down against Nalbandian in the semis but I don't think that will be happen here. Marcos does have enough game to stay with Federer if he's playing 100%, the question is how long would he be able to keep it up, not long enough I say. Marcos has played Federer 3 times, most recently losing to him in straight sets in Qatar. In the other two meetings he has been able to take a set off Roger and I think he will do so again this time. A close one, probably getting the break late in the set. It won't be enough.

Prediction: Federer in 4

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Mauresmo wins her first Grand Slam with Hardenne retiring from the match after being one set down.....

Probably not the way she wanted to win but she did get herself that far. BTW - thats the third player to retire against Mauresmo in this tournament.

congratulations to Mauresmo!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:43 pm
Cream of the Crop

I'm hoping JHH had a REALLY upset stomach, because what? She can't play for a few more games because of a tummy-ache? Feel bad for Amelie, who was kicking her ass.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

That was pretty lame, Hardenne should've toughened it out and played the rest, she totally took away some of Mauresmo's glory with that crap.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:13 am
All Star Poster

That was pretty lame, Hardenne should've toughened it out and played the rest, she totally took away some of Mauresmo's glory with that crap.

SHe probably did it on purpose! I hate her.. especially after that incident with serena where she raised her hand saying that she needed some time and then lied about it :nonono:

Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 90  Next