Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
Not really a match, but who cares! Please let this be it, and not randomly have Lesnar get ahold of it again (at least for the next several, several years). I could also see some ridiculous scenario of Kofi winning the WWE title tonight, and then Vince having him defend it immediately afterwards versus Lesnar. :wacko:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The announce tables are tough as HELL tonight. Surely some of the spots were meant to break them... Even the back-body drop off the stairs by Triple H to Batista didn't break one! Good thing Shane didn't do his usual top rope spot onto one tonight, otherwise he probably would have injured himself.

Joe and Mysterio was lame. It looks like the show is on track to run after midnight, so I guess it was the only valid match to shorten. I expect Demon Balor to squash Lashley in equal fashion for time purposes later as well.

Glad the Iconics one, but kinda hoped for Sasha/Bayley to retain to keep the belts a bit more...credible.

Kofi winning was great. I was honestly expecting a swerve with Xavier and Big E turning on him (the present reveal before the match was suspicious), but thankfully they didn't.

The Doctor of Thuganomics was a nice segment. Biggest pop Cena has received this decade.

Triple H and Batista was surprisingly solid. A bit sloppy, and it only worked given the No-Holds-Barred stipulation, but it was entertaining enough. Batista almost falling on his face TWICE while entering the ring was funny.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Baron Corbin beat Angle, fairly... I mean, it's common to go out on your back, but against Corbin...?

Very bizarre.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Solid main event, but it suffered from an anti-climatic finish and should have been longer... It oddly felt like they were rushing, moving from spot-to-spot with little/no time between moves.

Charlotte didn't have the elevation needed to break the table (again with the tables...), and then the ref (it seems) sort of botched the roll-up count on Rousey. Maybe they should have just teamed up to counter Charlotte's moonsault with a double-powerbomb through the table instead. But as for the botch count, the ref should have stopped and restarted, but it's just one of those difficult moments.

Overall, a pretty good Mania this year, but besides the Kofi victory, it was pretty forgetful and no great matches.

Hope you enjoyed your first Mania, Flava'd!

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:32 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I did it was awesome! For the first hour or so it is the greatest thing ever, then you feel kind of exhausted for the rest of the night, but luckily we had some great main events to bring us back up. The Kofi match was spectacular and is instantly a legendary Wrestlemania moment. Becky too, even though it came out of nowhere. They didn’t troll us on the big matches and while that should be the obvious thing to do, we know the last 4 years have been a little spiteful on both sides.

Some live notes:

The crowd was completely distracted by the lights for the first half if the Randy Orton match. They were shining so bright that some sections couldn’t even see the ring. I guess I was lucky it didn’t affect ours much, but when they moved it around you could relate. It was very annoying.

The worst match of the night was Roman. Nobody was cheering or booing him (I tried and got shut down) and the match itself was mostly rest holds. Crowd was much more interested in the guys who were trying to start a wave.

Demon Balor entrance is just as cool as you’d expect. Sick powerbomb too.

We all loved the cameos from the legends. The shifting cast of guest commentators was a great idea. Also everyone had a good laugh at Hogan making fun of himself for getting arena names wrong and then proceding to call it Metlife Center.

We also had a good laugh at Triptista. We did not laugh at the match being 25 minutes, but again the addition of Michaels and Flair kept the crowd into it.

Mr Miz might have been the third most popular person there. And Shane restarting his entrance twice was funny.

Corbin .. meh. We didn’t really care at the point though.

I was directly under the helicopters when they first came in. Very cool.

Ricochet is a future Mania main eventer.

Will add more later! My live review - A+ even with the ridiculous length and a few weak matches (though only one outright terrible one). So much fun and its an experience I’ll never forget.

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 am
New Server, Same X

Sounds like an amazing time, glad you experienced it! The run time must be a killer, which I think of course posed a detriment to the main event.

The main event ended as it should have: Becky beating Ronda. If she had beaten Charlotte, it would have felt cheaper. I'm not a fan of the way she was pinned, because I really hope it doesn't set up an angle where the tape review says she wasn't pinned, etc etc. We don't need this to be more convoluted. I understand not wanting to have Ronda tap out or even technically lose clearly and cleanly, but I don't want the main event of Wrestlemania to be questioned tonight on RAW.

The matches are built to fail on Wrestlemania, with the insane run time and overstuffed card. No one gets a great chance to shine unfortunately, but the wins were awesome. Rollins, The Iiconics, Kofi and Becky. Can't complain about WWE getting the wins right for once. I wonder how long before they fuck it all up again. Smackdown tomorrow night, or will they go for the gusto and fuck everything up tonight?

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:35 pm
New Server, Same X

Was the crowd dead for Smackdown or was the sound level off? I would have said they were exhausted by almost a full day of wrestling content since Friday, but the chant during Becky's promo sounded super muted even though most seemed to be chanting "Becky 2 Belts". The opening with Kofi sounded dead too, which didn't seem right.

I'll have lots of thoughts about Mania through Smackdown, but RAW and Smackdown felt off compared to previous years with all the NXT debuts. And was The Undertaker segment meant for Wrestlemania? That was such an odd choice to keep him off Wrestlemania for the first time in years and have him on the RAW After Mania.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:37 am
The Kramer

Yeah Raw and Smackdown were basically just normal episodes with the exception of The Undertaker surprise.

The Superstar Shake-up feels antiquated in the New New Era where wrestlers hop shows at will. I guess it matters for the house shows though.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm
New Server, Same X

So my thoughts have cooled a bit, probably because it felt like the week was a bit anti-climactic after Wrestlemania, but here are some thoughts:

-Becky Lynch's nearly 8-month journey was fulfilled at Wrestlemania. You can say the run time left everyone exhausted or that the ending was rushed or that Charlotte was an unnecessary addition, but at the end of the day, Becky Lynch won in the main-event of Wrestlemania and became only the second person to walk out of Mania with two major titles (Triple H was the first, obv). WWE did their unintentional best to cool Becky in the last two months, but thankfully she did well enough on her own.

I'll even go as far as to say the ending was perfect. Ronda could have went on both shoulders better, yes, but as always, Becky completely saved the rollup victory with sound storyline logic: in an interview after, she said she beat the fighter, Ronda, who had called down wrestling, with a classic wrestling move we see in pretty much every match. A roll-up attempt. Should a Mania main-event end with a roll-up? That's up for debate. But for the storyline they did, it kind of was perfect. The fighter was beaten with a wrestling move.

But now comes the hard part. The social media era moves on so fast from people. It's imperative that they continue to build Becky Lynch in the right way if they want to keep her a star. She can only do so much, but they need to give her the proper storylines. Lacey Evans is kind of an interesting feud, but... as always, Becky has a better idea. On her Twitter, she called out Sasha Banks for a fight. So do it. Build off Sasha's frustrations. You can keep going with Lacey, Becky is Becky 2 Belts after all. But have her feud with Sasha too.

-Speaking of, I don't blame Sasha Banks for being frustrated. In a different timeline where The Man doesn't come around, Sasha could have easily headlined Wrestlemania. Unfortunately, there are so many deserving women of that moment. And I'm not saying that's the reason for her disappointment, but I imagine it's hard to see women headline the biggest event in all of professional wrestling and not be a part of it. She's one of WWE's lost causes right now, but I hope they come around and realize they have another woman who deserves a push. Her and Becky could honestly feud through the summer, if done properly. Turn Sasha heel, make her a true heel.

-So many men and women clock countless hours in wrestling, especially in WWE, but never ever make it. They live out their post-wrestling days as whispers of conversation. "Oh remember this guy? Or this woman? They had a few good matches, but never did make it to the top". Kofi Kingston, I believe, was destined for that. That guy that they made Jamaican in his debut. That guy who had some incredible Royal Rumble moments. That guy that was a part of a great, fun stable called The New Day. It's incredibly inspiring to see him hold the WWE Championship. Even if he is a short-term champion, he had that moment and no one can take it from him. It was special to watch.

I've seen people say it was one of the best matches in a long time, and in a storyline point of view, I'd agree. I don't think the match was technically a top 5 match for this decade, just my opinion. But being on the edge of your seat, rooting for Kofi, that made it special.

-Hot take on Lars Sullivan: I don't care about another destructive big guy, plowing through the lower-to-mid card roster. Just throw him with Braun Strowman already and be done with it. I'm sure he's talented, but I'm just not feeling it. This is one of those wrestling cliches that's been done to death and I'd be fine if they didn't rely on it so often. The impending 30-second squash matches, the handicap matches, the feuds with C-players. I don't need it.

-I have to say WWE knows how to cut excitement down, right to the bone. Take an incredibly fun, Champion vs. Champion match on RAW and turn it into Seth and Kofi vs. The Bar. They didn't even need the winner takes all thing, just have them wrestle for fun. It would have been really cool to see.

-I love The Iiconics. So glad they have the tag titles, they deserve them. I don't have a lot to add, but keep them as heels and let them do their thing. Elias is proof positive that some gimmicks work best from a heel.

-I was prepared to talk about the first Wrestlemania without Undertaker in years, but does it count if he was on the RAW After Mania? What an odd choice. I feel like that was a last minute thing, like Undertaker was meant to interrupt Elias on the big show and Cena was meant for Kurt Angle. Outside of the nostalgia factor, Cena showed his age as The Dr. of Thuganomics.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:34 pm
New Server, Same X

Forgot to comment on Sami Zayn's return. This would feel fun and fresh... if it hadn't also been done to death recently. Daniel Bryan and Dean Ambrose have done the exact same gimmick but from different angles. Bryan made it work very well, Ambrose... not so much. I think it's an interesting idea for Zayn, but I don't think it'll lead to anything substantial. He needs WWE behind him, and unless something has changed, WWE has no use for him or Kevin Owens. Unfortunately.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:33 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

...is the War Raiders name-change to "The Viking Experience" the most random and bizarre ever?

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I don't know anything about the War Raiders, but it convinces me of something I never realized before: Vince HATES someone succeeding without his help (I'm making an assumption here, and a fairly believable assumption since NXT seems to always get huge praise). So the fact that Triple H and those behind the scenes at NXT are creating stars and 5-star matches probably eats at him. It's why he so often changes people's personas, names or just kills every last shred of momentum people have coming from NXT.

Name one wrestler that has become a star out of NXT in the last three or four years. Shinsuke, Andrade, Bobby Roode, Samoa Joe, Asuka, Finn Balor. They should all be main-event players, but the best they can muster is some midcard championships and maybe a brief flirtation with the top spot, despite coming out of NXT a star.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 am
The Kramer

Alexa Bliss
Baron Corbin
Elias

I’d say these three have risen above their card placement in NXT. A short list compared to those who haven’t sustained their momentum.

It’s not like they all have been bereft of opportunities though.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

A bit surprised Reigns is on Smackdown now. I was actually expecting it once Styles showed up on Raw, and Reigns was the only main event name to trade over in exchange, it's just that Reigns always seemed like one of those guys who'd remain on Raw.

Hopefully the inevitable Rollins/Styles feud actually delivers as it should, though, because nearly all of Styles' high-profile feuds (Nakamura, Owens, Joe) have fallen flat. Unless the two of them simply have no chemistry together, they should be capable of a 5-star match at SummerSlam.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:23 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Alexa Bliss
Baron Corbin
Elias

I’d say these three have risen above their card placement in NXT. A short list compared to those who haven’t sustained their momentum.

It’s not like they all have been bereft of opportunities though.

Forgot about Alexa Bliss. I think she has remained incredibly relevant.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:55 am
The Kramer

The Viking Raiders!

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very weird. It's a much better name than "The Viking Experience...", but "Viking Raiders" is kind of redundant. Vikings were raiders, so...

Still don't really understand why their original "War Raiders" name was an issue.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I really hope that Kevin Owens doesn't just end up winning the WWE Championship and dropping it to Roman Reigns by Summerslam or sooner. Talk about a guaranteed way to get Roman hated by fans again. He's already teetering. But I feel it's going to happen.

Obviously Kevin Owens was going to turn, but I kind of loved his babyface run.

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 am
New Server, Same X

Two weeks into the superstar shakeup and some random thoughts:

-Some of the changes are good, although I don't know if there are strong enough distinctions between RAW and Smackdown to make the exclusivity of certain wrestlers feel that special. Maybe it's just me, but I don't care who wrestles where, just put together some interesting storylines and fun feuds. Give me solid matches.

-Speaking of, Seth Rollins and AJ Styles already. I'm game. But I'm not convinced these will be classic matches yet. AJ and Shinsuke should have stole the show at Wrestlemania, but their match was just good. Sometimes the pressure of two show-stoppers coming together results in a mixed result.

-Now that the dust has settled of Roman Reigns returning, I really wish they would do something else with him. People are booing him again. Having him superman punch Vince McMahon didn't do anything for him. They should have put him with Shane McMahon for a feud. But his character isn't good enough to stay the same and keep the babyface reactions coming. The good will of his tremendous prognosis is fading. It would have made sense to have him turn on the fans for them changing their reactions just because he was sick. He'd probably get heel pops then, but it's better than keeping him a stale babyface.

-Becky Lynch needs to go back into The Man role where she doesn't necessarily pander to the crowd but shows up as a badass ready to fight. I saw a bit more of that on Smackdown, but that needs to be the go ahead or they're going to ruin her character. Coming out and playing up to the crowd is draining her popularity. Less smiley promos and more "I'm going to kick everyone's ass" promos.

-Speaking of, Lacey Evans is not a good first post-Mania feud for her either. As much as people are sick of her and Charlotte, their chemistry is still aces. They work well together. She should be facing Bayley and Charlotte at MITB, those feuds would work. I've seen nothing from Lacey Evans that impresses me in WWE. And it could only hinder Becky more going forward.

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:43 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

What a RAW. It must rank near the very top of one of their worst RAWs ever. :-/

I'm more concerned for WWE now than I've been in a long time. Obviously not worried they'd cancel RAW or anything, but the ratings are at an all-time low (and not by just a hundred thousand or so like normal all-time lows) and the product is just sucks at the moment. I do imagine that if ratings drop below 2 million on a consistent basis moving forward, something may indeed happen though.

Also, why this Wild Card rule thing? Just end the brand split, honestly.

And the rumors of having Lesnar (who apparently "retired" from UFC?), Goldberg (...), and Undertaker come back is, well, so Vince.

Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

It sure does suck that we're a month past a Wrestlemania where women headlined, The Man came out victorious, Rollins defeated Lesnar and Kofi captured a WWE Title... only for ratings to hit lows.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I swear if Brock comes back on a long-term (lol his version at least) basis, I may stop watching. I can't suffer through that any more. It's sadistic at some point to subject yourself to that with something that should bring you some level of happiness.

Wed May 08, 2019 1:43 pm
100% That Bitch

I haven't watched one since gh ones after wm
Fuck WWE RN, they suck

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed May 08, 2019 3:35 pm
New Server, Same X

Mister Ecks wrote:
Two weeks into the superstar shakeup and some random thoughts:

-Some of the changes are good, although I don't know if there are strong enough distinctions between RAW and Smackdown to make the exclusivity of certain wrestlers feel that special. Maybe it's just me, but I don't care who wrestles where, just put together some interesting storylines and fun feuds. Give me solid matches.

This became weirdly prophetic. And not in a good way. The Wild Card thing is the opposite direction of where they should go. And unfortunately this only hurts mid-to-low card performers, if some guys end up appearing on both shows in a week.

I didn't really realize how badly WWE was fucking things up until this week. I don't even know what to say really. It's sad and scary at the same time. But they're doing it to themselves. Just don't punish good performers and current champions for your inability to build an interesting product.

Thu May 09, 2019 12:32 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

WWE does seem to be in one of the worst positions they've ever been in, perhaps as worrisome as their mid-1990s situation when they lost a lot of talent and ratings plummeted.

There is an ever-growing list of superstars that are either leaving, asking for their release, openly unhappy, and/or have reported backstage heat: Sasha Banks, Strowman, The Revival, Lars Sullivan, Lio Rush, Big E, Luke Harper, Tyler Breeze. And there's probably more that I left off.

And AEW got their major weekly TV deal all but confirmed (supposed to be announced next week) with TNT this week, too. If WWE doesn't get their act together very soon, they could potentially lose even more viewers and possibly never gain back the ones they've lost this year if AEW proves to be good.

Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

So an episode of RAW THAT isn't a toxic wasteland.

An improvement, I guess

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 235  Next